One of my New years resolutions this year was to cook more, bake more, and even though last year I bake tons I wanted to incorporate in this year some healthier alternatives to some things. I have experimented with "healthy" recipes a ton, and most are pretty bland and gross, and end up in the trash can.
This time I decided to make a recipe I have in one of my cook books, Healthy Appetite by Gordon Ramsay. This Muffins are pretty good I must say, and we truly enjoyed having them in the morning with coffee or fresh out of the oven with a cup of milk.
This recipe makes 12 large very moist muffins, there are not super sweet, but super tasty (at least in my opinion). You can get Gordon Ramsay's book -->here<--
- 2 very ripe large bananas
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk, I did not have buttermilk so I used regular 2% milk.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 of a cup of olive oil (or melted butter)
- 7 oz blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1tbsp of raw brown sugar for the top of the muffins
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F n(180 degrees C). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Peel the bananas and mash in a bowl, using a fork.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the milk (or buttermilk), egg, olive oil and bananas. Quickly fold the ingredients together until just incorporated, taking care not to overmix. Tip in the blueberries and give the batter one or two stirs.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases and sprinkle with the raw sugar. These cases will be quite full.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 mins until well risen and golden brown on top; you know there are done if inserted with a toothpick and comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. I pretty much ate one right then and there with a glass of milk. YUM!
I hope you decided to give this recipe a Try. each muffin should be around 228 cal each.
I hope you have a lovely day!