Bourbon Apple Pie!



 Apple Pie is a classic American pie, perfect for this season. I have made several over the years, used different recipes and kinds of apples. I wouldn't consider apple pie my favorite kind pie. But I think I might have found a winner here.


We got a lot of apples this past month on our veggies and fruit seasonal box, and to prevent them to go bad I decided to bake a pie this weekend. It works perfect since I am counting it as practice for my Thanks Giving pie baking.




For the Crust:

-1 3/4 sticks of cold unsalted butter (about 15 tbsp) cut into cubes.  You can use two sticks if you want it extra buttery. I used Kerrygold
-2 cups of all purpose flour
-1 tbsp of raw sugar (optional)
-1/2 tbsp of salt
-1/2 cup of water, start with 1/4 and add the rest if needed.

In a large bowl mix the flour and salt, and then add the butter and mix until it appears crumbly. Add the water 1/4 cup at a time, until pie dough forms. Wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge for at least an hour.

While the dough it's the the fridge, start prepping your apples. When you have rolled your pie crust, sprinkle the raw sugar on the pie and roll it down to press into it. This dough should make two pie crusts.

For the filling:

I followed this recipe but modified it slightly.

-8 mid sized apples. Peeled, cored and sliced. I used 4 fuji and 4 gala.
-1/3 cup of butter
-3 tbsp of flour
-1/4 cup of water
-1/4 cup of bourbon 
-1/2 cup of white sugar
-1/2 cup of brown sugar
-1/2 cup of raisins

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a middle size pan melt butter and add flour until it forms a paste.  Add sugar and water and bring to boil and let simmer for a minute, it is going to form a caramel like consistency, add bourbon. Remove from fire and toss in with apples and raisins until well coated.

Pour apples into prepared pie dish and top it with a pretty design, I made a lattice crust.

I covered the pie with aluminum foil and baked it for 5 minutes in 425 degrees, then removed the aluminum foil and lower the temperature to 350 degrees and baked for another 40 min ultil apples were soft.

The end result was a very tasty pie, which wasn't too sweet, the bourbon gave it a kick, but it wasn't too strong and it didn't taste like alcohol. I will be remaking this for our Thanks Giving dinner, for sure!




If you want to check other Bourbon recipes, I baked some Cinnamon rolls and you can check the recipe -->here<--- 


 Enjoy!

Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment